Available information

Displaying information for Llanddewi Velfrey, Pembrokeshire

Churches and Chapels

St.David(Church in Wales)

OS Grid Ref: SN1516

Repositories:

Bishops Transcripts 1676-1880, NLW
Baptisms 1727-1992, NLW
Marriages 1727-1870, NLW
Burials 1727-1990, NLW
Monumental Inscriptions Click here for link to Dyfed FHS Publications

Bethel(Independent) 1824-

Address: A40 (T)

OS Grid Ref: SN159170

Repositories:
Baptisms 1748-1837, TNA Marriages , Burials , Monumental Inscriptions ,
See Henllan Chapel

Ffynnon(Baptist) 1720-

OS Grid Ref: SN136169

Repositories:
Baptisms , Marriages , Burials , Monumental Inscriptions Click here for link to Dyfed FHS Publications

Trefangor Burial Ground(Baptist)

Address: On the north side of the A40

OS Grid Ref: SN131 170

In 1667 before the chapel (Rhydwilym, Llandissilio, PEM) was built, Gruffydd Howel donated land at Trefangor, Llanddewi Velfrey, and this became one of the oldest non-conformist burial grounds in Wales and the principal resting place for many of the Baptists in the region. In 1861 Lewis, the squire of Henllan Llanddewi Velfreyr, under the mistaken belief that he owned the land, refused to allow the Baptist burial of the Rev. David G Accrington, a native of Bletherston (PEM). He was buried at Bethesda Chapel in Narberth, but his friends removed the body and buried it at Trefangor without permission. A court case followed, and in 1866 Lewis Henllan discovered that the land was in fact owned by the Baptists. In repentance he repaired and extended the cemetery at his own cost.

Gruffydd Howel was one of the first joint ministers. His son, John, was the first to be buried in this cemetery; memorials to father and son and several early Rhydwilym ministers may still be seen here.
Monumental Inscriptions Click here for link to Dyfed FHS Publications

Schools

National School

Opened 1876 - status c2000
Age range 5-11
Repositories:
School logbooks 1874-1931, PEM RO Admission Register , Attendance Register 1877-1878, PEM RO Examination Results , Published History ,
Opened 1876 - status c2000
Age range 5-11
Repositories:
School logbooks 1874-1931, CRO Admission Register , Attendance Register 1877-1878, CRO Examination Results , Published History ,

Farms

No information available

Postcards

No information available

War Memorials

No information available

Become a member today


Becoming a member of Dyfed FHS takes just a few minutes

Join now

Useful Links

Other Genealogical Websites

View a page with links to all our other genealogical websites.


All Recent Additions

View a page with links to all our Recent Additions


Personal Research

Society Members can publish their research on this website.
Click Here.

Contact Us

Matters relating to membership (personal details, renewals, applications, gift aid and standing orders).
Membership Secretary - Mrs. Joan Beckingsale. Email - membership@dyfedfhs.org.uk

Matters relating to the Management Committee.
General Secretary
- Mr. Colin Potter. 25 Milton Meadows, Milton, Tenby, Pembrokeshire. SA70 8PL
Email - secretary@dyfedfhs.org.uk

Matters relating to the journal (articles, help needed or advertising).
Editor – Cate Hobbs. 25 Milton Meadows, Milton, Tenby, Pembrokeshire. SA70 8PL
Email - editor@dyfedfhs.org.uk

Matters relating to the website.
Webmaster - Mr. Geraint Davies.
Email - webmaster@dyfedfhs.org.uk

Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2019 Dyfed Family History Society. All Rights Reserved. Website by Delwedd

Dyfed Family History Society is a Registered Charity, No. 513347